While 2020 had a variety of highs and lows, one of the brightest aspects was undeniably the unprecedented rise of South Korean girl group BLACKPINK – Jennie, Jisoo, Lisa, and Rosé debuted in August 2016 with “BOOMBAYAH” and “Whistle,” and this year, they released their first full-length project, aptly named The Album, and Light Up the Sky, a documentary they created with Netflix. Bloomberg recently named BLACKPINK the biggest pop band in the world, beating acts like BTS and Girls’ Generation to be the first Korean group to earn the title.
In addition to their vocals and dance talent, BLACKPINK have become famous for their unique styles that have inspired fans worldwide. Each of the girls is even an ambassador for a major brand: Jennie for Chanel, Jisoo for Dior, Lisa for Celine, and Rosé for Yves Saint Laurent. For those of us who aren’t multi-millionaires, there are plenty of ways to channel the group’s aesthetics for everyday outfits. I created this collection of five fashion moodboards inspired by some of the band’s most iconic music videos, and you can mix and match the different pieces to create your own unique look inspired by BLACKPINK.
“BOOMBAYAH” was one of BLACKPINK’s two debut singles, and some of the most iconic looks from the video were a grunge-inspired take on the schoolgirl style. These outfits were my main inspiration, and I also took inspiration from one of Rosé’s brighter styles in the video to add some variety to the color scheme. I even found a replica of Lisa’s Ziggy Stardust raglan, which you can easily pair with a dark plaid skirt to copy her look.
- Tops: Blink-182 raglan, skeleton tee, Mötley Crüe crop tee, mesh bodysuit, Ziggy Stardust raglan, heart cutout tee, Metallica mesh tee
- Jacket: black sheer jacket
- Bottoms: brown plaid skirt, white plaid skirt, blue plaid skirt, purple plaid skirt
- Jewelry: safety pin necklace, lucky charms bracelet, star charm bracelet
- Accessories: star belt, black striped socks, black crossbody bag, striped suspenders, blue plaid mask, green plaid mask, rhinestone tights
- Shoes: white combat boots
My main inspiration from “As If It’s Your Last” were BLACKPINK’s colorful, bold outfits in the subway station clip. I took a piece of inspiration from each member, including Jennie’s fun belt, Rosé’s checker skirt, Lisa’s jacket, and the sheer shirt Jisoo wore under a tank top.
- Tops: sheer floral top, neon green mesh top
- Bottoms: jean skirt, cargo skirt with straps, checkered joggers
- Jackets: daisy windbreaker, iridescent crop jacket, floral bomber
- Jewelry: body chain, turquoise earrings, bracelet set, rhinestone choker
- Accessories: pink belt, checkered socks, iridescent belt bag, iridescent belt, checkered mask, reflective crossbody bag, pink thigh high socks
- Shoes: silver platform boots
Some of the most memorable scenes of the triumphant “Kill This Love” music video draw inspiration from tactical military clothing, with a sassy twist. One scene features slightly more practical, neutral tones, while the final scene of the video takes a much more “high fashion” approach.
- Tops: mock neck crop top, black velvet long sleeve, red and black long sleeve, sheer leopard bodysuit, red brocade crop top
- Jackets: black bauble jacket, red military-inspired jacket
- Skirts: black tactical skirt, gray tactical skirt, black skort
- Pants: white cargo pants, red velvet leggings
- Belts and Harnesses: harness with garter, black grommet belt, black heart belt, harness with belt bag
- Accessories: canvas boots, red heart choker, red hat
BLACKPINK’s biggest U.S. hit to date, “Ice Cream,” is a fun, upbeat collaboration with Selena Gomez. The playful music video sees BLACKPINK mostly wearing bright, flower-adorned outfits while they spend a summer day riding bikes and going down a waterslide.
- Tops: tie-dye mesh top, pink floral sweater top, mesh pink flower top, long sleeve tie-dye top
- Outerwear: green flower cardigan
- Dress: rainbow knit coverup
- Bottoms: blue draped skirt, tie-dye joggers
- Co-ord: gingham top and skirt set
- Jewelry: retro flower stud earrings, ice cream chokers, beaded bracelets, pink dangle flower earrings
- Accessories: pink belt, striped socks, ice cream bows, gingham scrunchies, ice cream clutch, tie-dye face mask, flower face mask
BLACKPINK’s recent hit “Lovesick Girls” is the “title track,” or main promotional single, of The Album. In the video, the girls lament a relationship’s breakdown before admitting they were “born to be alone” and, literally, driving off into the sunset. Most of the outfits in the video are influenced by grunge fashion, and I mostly drew inspiration from Lisa and Jisoo’s looks.
- Tops: green tie-dye bodysuit, brown corset top, plaid mesh top, acid wash tee, blue bustier, eagle print tee
- Dress: plaid slip dress
- Outerwear: embellished denim jacket, striped cardigan
- Bottoms: black strappy shorts, acid wash skirt
- Accessories: brass buckle belt, black grommet belt, acid wash mask, star necklace
- Shoes: burgundy combat boots