September is considered a special month of the year because of its significance. As the ninth month, it marks the transition between two seasons, that is the end of the summer season and the beginning of the autumn season. Considering the numerous global events that have transpired, many consider the month of September to be a fresh start as the year runs to an end.
Here are some historical events to reflect on, future events to look forward to and interesting facts about the month of September:
• Historical Events
- The Death of the Sun King
On 1 September 1715 King Louis XIV, popularly known as the Sun King, died at the age of 76, after ruling France for 71 years. Historically, his death is significant because he was succeeded by Louis XV and Louis XVI, who was executed during the French Revolution that saw the end to monarchical rule in France.
- The Great Fire of London
The 2nd of September 1666 witnessed one of the greatest fire outbreaks in history. The fire was believed to have started in a bakery, raged for three days and destroyed a whole city. The outbreak was believed to have ravished close to 70,000 homes, but surprisingly, the death toll was verified at six.
- Galveston Hurricane
Many consider this to be the worst weather disaster in the U.S history. A hurricane with don’t speed of about 120 mph struck the city of Galveston, Texas, killing over 8,000 people on the 9th of September 1776.
- The First Continental Congress
On September 5, 1774, the first continental congress was called. This served as the governing body during the American Revolution, it comprised of delegates from all 13 American colonies. On the 9th September, the name changed from the United Colonies to the United States of America.
- The 9/11 Event
On the 11th of September, 2001, terrorists of the extremist group, Al-Qaeda, hijacked aeroplanes and hit targeted areas, including the Twin Towers in New York. The day witnessed a death toll of close to 3,000 people. The attack is regarded as the most deadly terrorist attack in the United States, and the 9/11 museum presently occupy the area where the Twin Towers were situated.
All these are more are significant events which shaped history and affected the world as s we know it.
• Future Events
The coronavirus pandemic may have led to the cancellation and postponement of events. However, there are several events to look forward to in the month of September, they include:
- The U.S Open: One of the grand slams in tennis sports is still scheduled to go on as planned. The major tournament will produce actions from tennis stars including Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka, to mention but a few.
- The NBA and NHL Playoffs: The NBA and NHL playoffs are scheduled to advance to the next stage. The competition will determine what teams will win the championship and Stanley Cup Finals respectively.
- NFL season: The National Football League will commence its season this month. The Super Bowl champions, Kansas Chiefs, will look to defend the title from other competitive teams. With superstars like Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Tom Brady, Odell Beckham Jr, and so on heating up the season, it sure would be an interesting one to look forward to.
- Return of TV Shows: A ton of TV series is returning, including Dancing With the Stars on the 16th, the 9th Season of the FX show, American Horror Story on the 18th NBC’s “The Voice” on the 23rd, Season 17 of “NCIS” and Season 4 of “This Is Us” on the 24th.
- Holidays: The major holiday to look forward to is Labour Day, celebrated on the first Monday of the month of September. Also, some fun days worth celebrating include National Cheese Pizza Day on the 5th of September, Video Games Day on the 12th of September, and so on.
September is a new season, synonymous with changes and fresh starts. It’s best to embrace it with open arms and enjoy every moment the month has to offer.
I’m an embodiment of Art, Science and Persuasion. Still curious? Follow me to find out more.