If you grew up in any decade from the 1980s to the 2000s, there’s a good chance you’ve collected, or at least heard of, Strawberry Shortcake dolls. Creator Muriel Fahrion initially designed the franchise’s titular character to appear on American Greetings cards, but toy industry mogul Bernie Loomis asked her to design a toy line instead. Since its inception, the franchise has touched the hearts of millions worldwide, and with the recent rise of the cottagecore aesthetic, the beloved food-themed, originally country-esque, characters have the potential to reach a whole new generation.
Taking inspiration from the generation-spanning franchise, I created a collection of fun fashion moodboards that integrate eight characters’ aesthetics and modern trends. You can mix and match the different pieces to create your own unique look inspired by Strawberry Shortcake and her friends. Many accessory items came from artists on Etsy, and some clothing items are from small businesses and ethical brands.
The namesake character of the franchise, Strawberry Shortcake, is a kind and caring friend who lives in a strawberry-shaped house with her cat, Custard, and dog, Pupcake. Strawberry-themed clothes and accessories have risen in popularity this year, thanks to the cottagecore aesthetic and Lirika Matoshi’s viral strawberry dress, so there are plenty of cute options on the market. I even found some accessories and masks featuring the Strawberry Shortcake character on Etsy.
- Tops: strawberry print tee, striped pink tee
- Sweaters: striped sweater, red cardigan
- Bottoms: corduroy skirt, jeans
- Shoes: Mary Jane flats
- Hair accessories: hat, red and green bows, strawberry and mushroom hair clips, strawberry scrunchie
- Masks: gingham mask, Strawberry Shortcake masks, floral mask
- Other accessories: Strawberry Shortcake keychain, basket purse, strawberry necklace, Strawberry Shortcake earrings, nail polish 1, nail polish 2, nail polish 3, strawberry shoelaces, striped socks
Angel Cake is a polite young girl who lives in the aptly-named Cakewalk area of Strawberryland. I took inspiration from her soft color palette and girly style, especially her lilac hat decorated with flowers. It was fairly easy to find pieces to match her look, thanks to the popularity of the soft girl aesthetic, and I drew inspiration from influencers like douxfairy.
- Tops: pink camisole, pink striped tee
- Sweaters: floral cardigan, rhinestone button cardigan
- Denim: overall dress, jeans
- Shoes: checkered Vans
- Hair accessories: sprinkle bow, bucket hat, scrunchies, purple bows, flower clips, donut clip
- Jewelry: butterfly necklace, daisy choker, flower earrings
- Other accessories: striped socks, pink backpack
Orange Blossom is one of Strawberry’s friends with a passion for gardening and helping others. She’s down to earth and loves nature, so I used earthy tones and floral patterns, as well as adding a butterfly print mask as a nod to her pet butterfly from the original 1980 doll line.
- Tops: crew neck top, floral peasant top
- Bottoms: plaid pants, tan skirt
- Hair accessories: flower bucket hat, velvet scrunchies, flower clip
- Bags: wicker purse, orange crossbody
- Masks: butterfly print, floral print
- Other accessories: friendship bracelet, heart drop earrings, phone case, flower socks, glitter nail polish, orange nail polish 1, orange nail polish 2
Ginger Snap is a baker with a pet named Chocolate Chipmunk. She’s one of Strawberry Shortcake’s first friends when she moves to Strawberryland, and extends a sweet, welcoming hand, along with some cookies. I stuck to her main color scheme, adding some accessories that nod to her occupation and love of baking.
- Tops: purple mesh top, white blouse, purple tee
- Bottoms: tie-waist jeans, brown skirt, purple skirt, bread overalls
- Jackets: purple jacket, shearling jacket top
- Accessories: “cookies” beanie, denim scrunchie, cookie purse, gingerbread necklace, denim hat
Blueberry Muffin is a fun-loving girl with a retro, yet cozy, style. She lives in a cabin-like house in the middle of a forest, so I tried to put together outfits she could wear while exploring the forest or spending time with friends in her home.
- Tops: tie top, lettuce trim tee
- Sweaters: check cardigan, cloud sweater
- Jacket: shearling denim jacket
- Bottoms: button jeans, gray jeans, floral skirt, plaid skirt
- Hair accessories: plaid scrunchie, blueberry bow, blueberry clips
- Other accessories: blueberry mask, patchwork bag, newsboy cap, purple belt, purple heels
Lemon Meringue has a sweet, preppy style that reflects her bubbly personality. In the most recent iterations of the franchise, she owns a hair salon, so I made sure to throw in some fun hair accessories.
- Tops: lace-up top, striped sweater, striped long-sleeve, collar sweater, tie-strap top
- Bottoms: denim skirt, turquoise midi skirt, overall dress
- Outerwear: yellow cardigan
- Shoes: blue and yellow sneakers
- Accessories: mask and scrunchie set, green hair clips, lemon crossbody bag
- Jewelry: lemon slab earrings, lemon slice bracelet, lace bracelet, lemonade necklace
Crepe Suzette is a Parisian girl who loves cooking. I drew from her French background, modeling French street fashion, and chic style, as well as her rich color scheme. You can piece together these items for either a casual or sophisticated look.
- Tops: “mon chéri” sweatshirt, raspberry top, pink long sleeve top, white button top, cherry bodysuit
- Sweater: purple cardigan
- Bottoms: velvet flare pants, pink flounce skirt, raspberry pleated skirt
- Dress: lavender dress
- Shoes: glitter ballet flats
- Hair accessories: wool beret, cherry hair clips
- Other accessories: crepe charm, red and purple scarf, plaid purse, cherry mask, cherry tassel earrings
Rainbow Sherbert is perhaps the most colorful character in the Strawberry Shortcake franchise, and it was fun finding so many bright, Y2K-influenced pieces for this moodboard. Since it’s rare to find such colorful clothes at everyday retailers, I sourced most of these from small businesses, as well as eco-conscious retailer Lucy & Yak.
- Tops: rainbow stripe long sleeve, “cosmic cutie” tee, tie dye crop
- Bottoms: suspender skirt, embroidered pants, blue corduroy skirt
- Sweater: rainbow stripe cardigan
- Jewelry: teddy bear bracelets, star beaded bracelets, butterfly necklace, lollipop earrings, ice cream bracelets
- Hair accessories: fuzzy purple headband, striped headband, rainbow bow
- Other accessories: pink and orange purse, rainbow scarf, tie-dye masks, pink socks, cloud purse
Hi! I’m Madison Murray, a pop culture and music writer who also loves writing about lifestyle and fashion. I’m currently a freelance writer for TREMG and music blogger for Audible Addixion – I write 1-2 posts a week on each platform. I’m a former editorial intern for Young Hollywood and a current playlist curator intern for VOLUP2 magazine. My favorite artists include Taylor Swift, Machine Gun Kelly, BLACKPINK, Elko, phem, and YUNGBLUD. She/her.