I turned 26 on February 19th and although it hasn’t been long since experiencing this age, part of me is starting to understand both the gratification and scariness of getting older. It’s hard to believe I’m transitioning into my late twenties when it still feels like just yesterday I was starting high school or laughing on the playground.
As I’ve gotten the opportunity to get older and grow up there have been plenty of things I’ve learned along the way. Some of them had to be learned the hard way while others were a special blessing in disguise. These are 26 things I’ve learned in my life….so far.
- Alcohol is not your best friend
- Appreciate your parents more
- You’re not a failure
- Comparison will hurt you, not help
- You can’t plan everything
- Know your worth
- If it makes you happy, keep at it
- You will get over them
- Look up from your phone
- It wasn’t your fault
- It’s okay to not be okay
- The number shouldn’t matter on the scale
- Just do it, don’t have regrets
- Moments turn into memories fast
- Learn to say no
- Learn to say yes
- You have a voice for a reason
- Having independence is necessary
- Buy yourself the damn flowers
- Treat yourself, but also save
- Don’t apologize all the time
- You won’t get anywhere if you don’t try
- Put yourself first
- Age is just a number
- It’s okay to be afraid to grow up
- It’s true when they say when you’re not looking for it is when they appear
I hope you can take something from this list no matter your age. I may only be 26 but I still have a lot to learn and experience and I can’t wait for what’s to come.
Most likely writing in my journals or notes in my phone, burying my face in a book, at a concert, laughing or eating fries. Recent college graduate with a ridiculous dream of wanting to write for a living.