When I was a kid, I never thought oatmeal would be my favorite type of breakfast. Now I think about my oatmeal the night before. The best way to make oatmeal is to add a bunch of toppings to it. No one wants to eat hot plain rolled oats.
Here are some suggestions to spice up your oatmeal:
- Add a layer of fruit: The best way to add flavor to oatmeal is by adding fruit. Fruits have a variety of different textures and colors. These different colors provide fiber, vitamins and minerals. This is a great way to customize your bowl as well. You can add whatever fruit you like, like mango, strawberries, blueberries and bananas.
- Sprinkle with a type of seed: Adding seeds to your oatmeal provides fiber and healthy fats. You can use chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds. All types of seeds have hearty healthy fats like omega 3s.
- Top with a type of nut: Using nuts provides protein and healthy fats as well. Possible toppings include walnuts, pecans, peanuts or almonds. There are a variety of nuts which allow for a lot of options.
- Dollop with nut butter: Finish off your bowl with a type of nut butter. Adding nut butter will provide a great source of plant-based protein. Use peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter or sun butter if you are nut free!
- Drizzle with a sweetener: If you’re still feeling like your oatmeal bowl could use work, drizzle with your favorite sweetener. I like to use honey, but maple syrup or agave works as well.